Does anyone collect records?

Talk about anything not remotely related to retrocomputing here!
TomXP411

Does anyone collect records?

Post by TomXP411 »

I recently acquired a "new" Audio Technica turntable, an AT-LP120BK-USB. This is actually my third AT turntable: The first one was the Bluetooth model, which I ended up giving it to my kid, because she was playing her records on an old "retro style" record player, and I could clearly see the tilt of the platter.

I replaced it with an AT-LP120-USB (the silver model), which was messed up during shipping, because the seller left the headshell plugged in, and it came loose during shipping and flopped around inside the compartment, scratching everything up (and yes, the stylus was destroyed.) Still, it works well in my office, even if it is a bit beat up.

I got a copy of the Tron Legacy soundtrack for Christmas, and I found the Borderlands soundtrack a couple of weeks ago, so I decided I wanted a nicer looking turntable for the living room. This was on EBay for a steep discount, since it had no headshell. I attached an Ortofon Silver cartridge, and it seems like a good fit. I'm having a little trouble with my receiver, though: it won't pass audio through to the subwoofer in stereo mode. So I may pick up a second sub specifically for LFE and use the current sub for front speaker bass.

Here it is, playing the soundtrack for Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
turntable.jpg
turntable.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 5356 times
(In case you're wondering... I don't notice any particular improvement with this cartridge over the standard Audio Technica cartridge. If I was going to do it over, I'd probably save a few dollars and just get an AT green with a nice looking headshell - maybe a blue or red one.
Yazwho

Re: Does anyone collect records?

Post by Yazwho »

I have a small but good collection. There is a something about the size and shape of records that I really enjoy. Coloured vinyl especially. I can't really explain it, as actually listening to vinyl is as much of a pain as it was back in the day with the constant flipping. But damn they look good!

You may not be aware of Discogs, which is a site for buying and selling vinyl. It also lets you catalogue your own collection, it even gives you a theoretical value!! Here is mine: https://www.discogs.com/user/Yazwho/collection
Main Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Main Administrator »

Ooh, I didn't realize Discogs lets you catalog your collection. I have only got around 40 records, but it's already reaching the point where I made a list, so I wouldn't accidentally re-purchase something. I'll check that out.
Edmond D

Post by Edmond D »

My neighbour made a living fixing consumer audio electronics, with a strong preference for record players. He carries on with it in retirement. I need to spend some time learning from him.

I've got a small collection of music on vinyl - mainly stuff my parents listed to; my hope was to digitize it for them before my mother passed. :( My dad is a technophobe and set in his ways, so the project has been put aside.

For my own collection I've just got a copy of the 2001 Space Odyssey soundtrack (given to me by my first real girlfriend) and a copy of the Thompson Twins SideKicks LP which I bought this month; it appears to be in mint condition.

Not a huge collection or collector. Tapes I did, and CDs even more. I do like physical media. AS for musical talent I have little to none - the best I can play is a CD. :)
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

Edmond D wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:07 am For my own collection I've just got a copy of the 2001 Space Odyssey soundtrack (given to me by my first real girlfriend) and a copy of the Thompson Twins SideKicks LP which I bought this month; it appears to be in mint condition.
I really like classical music on this system. I'm not in the "analog is better" camp; in fact, I literally can't hear the difference between a record and the same record recorded and played back on digital. But I enjoy the medium for its physicality and having the big album covers, inserts, and that sometimes the records themselves are works of art. (I really like picture discs and colored records.)
Edmond D

Post by Edmond D »

I consider most 80 New Wave as the classics. :-) It's now 30 years ago, but it still gets played on the radio. I don't hear much on the radio that was recorded recently that would have that staying power - but that's just my likes & exposure.

Like you, I have a hard time differentiating digital from analog recordings in terms of music quality, unless the record is skipping or the CD is chattering.

I agree that physical media has a tangible quality that pure data recordings just don't have. The artwork as a bitmap just doesn't cut it; the physicality has a unique charm that will never be captured virtually. I assume you're like me and a product of the eighties. My young nephew once talked about listening to a "CD on a stick" at school as the teacher played a record.

On a related note, records have lasted a long time and will continue onward. I believe in 30 years that they will still be around, used and perhaps still be in production. Synthesizers (or computers) haven't replaced musical instruments. As for items like 8 tracks, those are an exclusive rarity both in the medium and the players.

It's amazing how many technology devices have had a lifespan in my half-century of life. The iPod has come and gone already.

Finally, I'm a big fan of film. With care someone will be able to look at my work in 100 years without having to find a retro computer system with the electronic device to see a bitmap in a long dead electronic file format....
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

Edmond D wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:36 am Finally, I'm a big fan of film. With care someone will be able to look at my work in 100 years without having to find a retro computer system with the electronic device to see a bitmap in a long dead electronic file format....
You'd think so, but as it turns out, motion picture film needs a lot of maintenance. The original negatives and prints for Star Wars are in pretty sad condition, less than 50 years on, and they will probably be worthless in a century.

I'm starting to think that if you want your work preserved for the centuries, printing it on gold foil is going to be the only way to make it last. =)
Edmond D

Post by Edmond D »

I have processed a lot of photographic film in my day and worked with negatives that were over 60 years old that were badly stored but still in good condition. I store my collection as best I can, but I assume it will get tossed when I pass on. I'll have to ensure my estate knows the value of some of the stuff I have to save it from getting binned....

As for motion picture stuff, given the digital remastering of highly (if not over rated) the original stock is more sentimental value given the transfer. I watched the original in a theatre when I was 9 which satisfied me then.

Gold printing might not last given the economic value of the metal. Carving in stone might last longer, or doing cave paintings. Imaging some future spelunker finding a "Hello World" program written in Cobol on a cave wall :lol:
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

Edmond D wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:38 amGold printing might not last given the economic value of the metal. Carving in stone might last longer, or doing cave paintings. Imaging some future spelunker finding a "Hello World" program written in Cobol on a cave wall :lol:
Well, darn. We're striking out on a medium on which to store music for the future... what other metals don't corrode easily but are still cheap enough to be used as a long term storage medium? Hmm....
Gilbert11

Post by Gilbert11 »

TomXP411 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:03 am I recently acquired a "new" Audio Technica turntable, an AT-LP120BK-USB. This is actually my third AT turntable: The first one was the Bluetooth model, which I ended up giving it to my kid, because she was playing her records on an old "retro style" record player, and I could clearly see the tilt of the platter.

I replaced it with an AT-LP120-USB (the silver model), which was messed up during shipping, because the seller left the headshell plugged in, and it came loose during shipping and flopped around inside the compartment, scratching everything up (and yes, the stylus was destroyed.) Still, it works well in my office, even if it is a bit beat up.

I got a copy of the Tron Legacy soundtrack for Christmas, and I found the Borderlands soundtrack a couple of weeks ago, so I decided I wanted a nicer looking turntable for the living room. This was on EBay for a steep discount, since it had no headshell. I attached an Ortofon Silver cartridge, and it seems like a good fit. I'm having a little trouble with my receiver, though: it won't pass audio through to the subwoofer in stereo mode. So I may pick up a second sub specifically for LFE and use the current sub for front speaker bass.

Here it is, playing the soundtrack for Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
turntable.jpg

(In case you're wondering... I don't notice any particular improvement with this cartridge over the standard Audio Technica cartridge. If I was going to do it over, I'd probably save a few dollars and just get an AT green with a nice looking headshell - maybe a blue or red one.
Hi there,
Congratulations on your new Audio Technica turntable! It sounds like you have quite the collection going on. It's unfortunate to hear about the mishap with your second turntable, but it's great to hear that you were able to find a great deal on a nice looking turntable for your living room.

It's also interesting to hear that you're having trouble with your receiver not passing audio through to the subwoofer in stereo mode. Adding a second sub for LFE sounds like a good solution, and it's always exciting to have a dedicated sub for low-frequency sounds.

Overall, it sounds like you have a great setup going on and I hope you enjoy listening to your records on your new turntable!