X16 Edit - a text editor

Stefan

X16 Edit - a text editor

Post by Stefan »

X16 Edit is a text editor made especially for the Commander X16 computer.

Main design goals:
  • Use the program to edit plain text files; it is not a word processor
  • Store the text buffer in banked RAM (512 kB to 2 MB)
  • Handle large text buffers efficiently
  • Support both PETSCII and ISO modes
  • Simple modeless user interface similar to GNU Nano

The standard variant of the editor is loaded and run in the same way as a BASIC program. To start it in the emulator, type the following command:
  • x16emu -sdcard sdcard.img -prg X16EDIT-x.x.x.PRG -run, where x.x.x is the program version number
The project includes the following alternative variants of the editor:
  • X16EDIT-HI-x.x.x.PRG, which is started at RAM address $6000
  • x16edit-rom-x.x.x.bin, which is a ROM based variant of the editor

Information on how to use the editor, including the alternative variants, is available in the manual. You may also get help by pressing Ctrl+G when running the program. That displays a list of keyboard shortcuts.

The work on X16 Edit begun in 2020. The program is quite stable. Development is focused on keeping up with changes to the Kernal.

Released under GNU GPL v 3 or later. Source code available at https://github.com/stefan-b-jakobsson/x16-edit.

#r46
Attachments
manual.pdf
(111.76 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
X16EDIT-0.8.2.PRG
(17.11 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
x16edit-rom-0.8.2.bin
(32 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (34.38 KiB) Viewed 38793 times
Last edited by Stefan on Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:28 am, edited 5 times in total.
Stefan

Re: X16 Edit - a text editor

Post by Stefan »

A new version of X16 Edit published that supports Kernal R43
Martin Schmalenbach

Post by Martin Schmalenbach »

Stefan wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:43 am A new version of X16 Edit published that supports Kernal R43
Very nicely done!

I had started writing my own - not quite the easiest things in the world to code on a new machine!

Anyway - I'll now stop working on my own and just use yours. It would be the cherry on the top of the cake if it could be relocated to run in banked memory or from ROM cartridge space ;) !!
Martin Schmalenbach

Post by Martin Schmalenbach »

Martin Schmalenbach wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:56 am It would be the cherry on the top of the cake if it could be relocated to run in banked memory...
Ignore - I see now from your OP and the docs for it that it stores the text file data in banked memory - perfect!

Thanks again!
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Great!

There is a version you may download from the Github release that can be installed in ROM.

I haven't tested, but it's likely that that version can run in cartridge memory as well.
yock1960

Post by yock1960 »

Awesome! I have added a hook into my quirky (obscure!) little Motorola MC14500B simulator, to run this from HIRAM, so that source files can be edited or created directly on the X16! The missing piece! I should have a new version uploaded later today!

Great work!
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

I now published X16 Edit pre-release version 0.7.0.

If you have time to test and report bugs, that's greatly appreciated.

The most important changes:

* The editor uses and adapts to the current screen resolution (screen height and width) when started. This change is of particular interest to those who use CRT based displays, where it might be necessary to use lower screen resolutions.

* On loading a file, tabs are now handled correctly. Previously the editor would just insert a blank space instead of a tab.

* On loading a file, Windows style line breaks (CR+LF) are interpreted as one line break. Previously you would get double line breaks.

* New implementation of basic Mouse support.

* New implementation of text selection functionality. Text selections may be made either by holding down Shift while you move the cursor with the arrow keys, or by holding the left mouse button while you move the cursor to the end of the selection. Selections can be copied or cut.

The added functionality has grown X16 Edit beyond one ROM bank. It is now two consequtive banks (32 kB).

The larger size also created a problem for the HI RAM variant of the editor. This has for now been handled by moving some code to address interval $5900-$5FFF. As before it's started at $6000. If the editor is added to the offical ROM, I guess the demand for the HI RAM variant will be very small. It is possible I will drop this variant in future releases.

Cheers,

Stefan.
yock1960

Post by yock1960 »

HIRAM 0.7.0 version crashes R43 emulator....on my system anyway. Version 0.6.0 worked fine.
kelli217

Post by kelli217 »

You may need to update your system to R44.

It was a sort of 'stealth' update, in that it seems to have escaped many people's notice and was not officially announced as loudly as some other releases have been.
yock1960

Post by yock1960 »

kelli217 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:58 pm You may need to update your system to R44.

It was a sort of 'stealth' update, in that it seems to have escaped many people's notice and was not officially announced as loudly as some other releases have been.
Slightly different crash.