Commander X16 2023 update

Announcements by the development team or forum staff.
Cyber

General - CX16 Commander X16 2023 update

Post by Cyber »

Robinkle

Re: Commander X16 2023 update

Post by Robinkle »

This makes me very excited. My favorites:
  • The new prototype case for the X16 Dev board.
  • Cartridges.
  • Potential integrated C-compiler and IDE.
  • Gen2 as a game console.
  • Integrated updating of ROM and VERA-FPGA from SDcard.
  • Network support.
  • The involvement of big player software developer and competitive gaming.
  • IMDH output.
It leaves me with a few questions:
  • Should the GEN1 be called the "Commander X16 - Development System"?
  • Because of the limitations of using obsolete FM chips, is it possible to implement it in the VERA chip?
  • WIFI network support?
DragWx

Post by DragWx »

I agree with changing the names away from Gen1, Gen2, etc. With the new names, the community now has some new shorthand: X16D and X16G, plus whatever we decide to nickname them, like "big board", "small board", "mini", etc. :P

As for the FM chip, I honestly think the PSG in the VERA is capable enough to stand on its own (go listen to some homebrew VRC6 music from the NES to see what I mean), and for my first few projects, I was planning on doing exactly that. Like, I was going to treat the FM chip more like it were an optional expansion board, because I was almost certain that's what it was going to eventually become once the stock declined enough.
Daedalus

Post by Daedalus »

I'm excited because this is such a huge milestone. Bringing a project of this scale to manufacturing, even at this scale, is huge. This is not a trivial thing at all.

I love the case. It's got win written all over it. With it's clear cover, it will look AWESOME at conventions and drive sales and marketing buzz. Win Win.

Cartridges. Meh. I think these are an atavism that will actually impede future development. But that implies future development is actually needed... if the cartridges are a hit, well... then the market has decided and no development past the game console was needed. But adopting this is entirely optional and lets the market decide, so it's in no way a loss.

Integrated C compiler. We already have this. It's called a "Cross Development Platform" where you develop your game on a modern computer with a huge screen with a modern tool chain. All we need to complete this development environment with actual hardware is a remote debugger, and that just needs a serial connection. Sure, someone will need to write the actual debugger... But I don't think many developers will choose to hamstring their development environment by forcing it into a 640 by 480 screen when they have a far larger one right there on their desk that already has the tools they need and the power to use those tools effectively. It DOES need a simplified environment like CODEX, though, to act as a gateway into the larger world of serious development using a cross development platform.

Networking. Not a fan. I don't want the cancer of online games getting here. And I did 10 years of development in online games, so you'd think I'd want networking. No. I don't. Games at this scale should be with all the players sitting at the actual machine. I also see no value in having a GEnie-esque "Alladin" program you need to use in 640 by 480 to connect to forums and whatnot. Just use your laptop for that. This is total mission creep and should be avoided.
NickMilner

Post by NickMilner »

Very excited. Congrats to everyone involved!

P.S.
Robinkle wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:17 pm It leaves me with a few questions:
Answered here: https://youtu.be/nyByDNQuMMI?t=1375
Robinkle

Post by Robinkle »

NickMilner wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:34 am Very excited. Congrats to everyone involved!

P.S.
Robinkle wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:17 pm It leaves me with a few questions:
Answered here: https://youtu.be/nyByDNQuMMI?t=1375
No, that's the name of the board. I'm talking about the complete system package, with case, PSU, board, keyboard and mouse.
Last edited by Robinkle on Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robinkle

Post by Robinkle »

Daedalus wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:24 am C compiler. We already have this. It's called a "Cross Development Platform" where you develop your game on a modern computer with a huge screen with a modern tool chain.
That's external IDE, rather then integrated IDE how I understand it.
BruceRMcF

Post by BruceRMcF »

Daedalus wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:24 am ... Cartridges. Meh. I think these are an atavism that will actually impede future development. But that implies future development is actually needed... if the cartridges are a hit, well... then the market has decided and no development past the game console was needed. But adopting this is entirely optional and lets the market decide, so it's in no way a loss.
This is the exciting development that they clearly cannot announce yet -- and (with absolutely zero inside knowledge) I am 99% sure that is because they have to be able to show that they have a ready for market hardware design before things can be announced -- where the X16 becomes the system for a competitive eSports company to include a "retro gaming" competitive track, possibly because the original retro systems don't support the authentication features that they require.

If that comes off, it is a massive thing relative to the original expected size of the market.
Integrated C compiler. We already have this. It's called a "Cross Development Platform" ...
That is definitely talking about hosted development. There's no way that fails to take off. The thing is, for most of these retro game systems, hosted development just isn't an option. It doesn't take a large percentage of retro hobbyist programmers being interested in hosted development for hosted development to take off on the X16, because it will rapidly be recognized as one of the most appealing hosted development platforms in that space, so the people interested in hosted development are going to be substantially over-represented in the X16 ecosystem.
Last edited by BruceRMcF on Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
PowerfulBadBoy

Post by PowerfulBadBoy »

Robinkle wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:17 pm
  • Because of the limitations of using obsolete FM chips, is it possible to implement it in the VERA chip?
As far as I'm aware, it's because the current FPGA they're using for the VERA hasn't got enough room. Can't remember where I heard that though.
I'm not sure how much space it would take but maybe the VERA could have some more advanced audio features added in lieu of an FM Synth? Maybe some wavetable channels like the SCC, Hu6280, FDS or Game Boy?
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

PowerfulBadBoy wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:29 pm
Robinkle wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:17 pm
As far as I'm aware, it's because the current FPGA they're using for the VERA hasn't got enough room. Can't remember where I heard that though.
I'm not sure how much space it would take but maybe the VERA could have some more advanced audio features added in lieu of an FM Synth? Maybe some wavetable channels like the SCC, Hu6280, FDS or Game Boy?
VERA is full. There's no more room for additional features. Wavetables or other synth models will need to be implemented as expansion cards.