3 Potions [game]

Talk about your programs in progress. Discuss how to implement features, etc.
Forum rules
This section is for testing Commander X16 programs and programs related to the CX16 for other platforms (compilers, data conversion tools, etc.)

Feel free to post works in progress, test builds, prototypes, and tech demos.

Finished works go in the Downloads category. Don't forget to add a hashtag (#) and the version number your program was meant to run on. (ie: #R41).
hechelion

File Download 3 Potions [game]

Post by hechelion »

I have been working on this game for several days, I started it as a practice of using sprites in the CX16, it is a game completely created from scratch by me.

I hadn't wanted to create the post before, because I wanted to have something functional to show. The game still needs work, improving the gameplay with a couple of items I have in mind.
Add the table of scores and that it can be saved in the SD
Improve the random algorithm.
sounds and music, something that at the moment I don't have the slightest idea how to do it, but this project is about precisely that, learning to program for the CX16.

The basic mechanics consists of joining 3 equal elements, a match 3 I think it's called.
For example, 3 yellow flowers create a yellow potion.
3 yellow potions create a yellow crystal and 3 yellow crystals create a multicolored crystal.

The object of the game is simply to get the highest score possible.

It is still a very early version and there are many things that are not implemented, but at least it works and little by little I hope to implement what is missing.

--------------------------------------------------------
Try It Now!
--------------------------------------------------------

controls

The game is programmed to work with JOY0 or JOY1.

The DPAD moves the cursor and the B button is the action button (or Z key if you're using the keyboard as JOY0)

Button "L" and "R" allow you to move an object to the backpack, for example, to reserve it instead of using it this turn.
Attachments
screen01.jpg
screen01.jpg (278.08 KiB) Viewed 15465 times
3p.zip
(8.91 KiB) Downloaded 717 times
Daedalus

Re: 3 Potions [game]

Post by Daedalus »

Hey! This is pretty good!

The premise seems really simple, but you have to think strategically and "fourth dimensionally" so that the results of the groups of three that you make can then make a subsequent group of three of the next level of item.

The "D" key on the keyboard is the key that executes the left/right switch mechanic for the "backpack."

The thing that looks like a magnet is an eraser. You can use it to erase one thing that's poorly placed without losing any score the thing you erased had generated.

I've been able to get a score of 101, but it occurs to me I can probably group diagonally as well, and that could open new strategies.
Daedalus

Post by Daedalus »

Ooo! Put a timer on it. That would be like sprinkling a cookie with crack for the "competitive speed running" crowd.
hechelion

Post by hechelion »

Thank you very much for trying it.
I was thinking of placing different difficulties, one with a timer and the easiest difficulty without time, in case someone wants to play in a relaxed way.

I hadn't thought about the diagonals, it's a good idea, this weekend I'll try to implement it.

The eraser icon is complicated, I was looking for something that was as representative as possible and I thought of those old paper erasers, but I see that it can be confused with a magnet. ja ja ja
Daedalus

Post by Daedalus »

If you want a difficulty level, you could have an "easy mode" with no timer and the ability to move tiles on the playfield into an open save slot.

Then for hard mode, take that away and add a timer. "You want hard mode? Ok! No more cheating for you, one year!"

You can also add a thing like the eraser that lets you do the "Playfield to the save slots" trick.
Edmond D

Post by Edmond D »

I've also enjoyed the game. The eraser made someone as I grew up when the pink/blue ones came out and kids used pencils and pens, not tablets or phones.

I'd suggest a "swap" item - where it switches the item at a location with the item beside it. Thinking about it there would be four directors, so the icon would have to indicate which direction it would "exchange" the selected position with.

That would make play easier, as getting to the crystal takes a lot of thought/play (time?)
voidstar

Post by voidstar »

Great game - wondering if any recent update, like for sound/audio ?
hechelion

Post by hechelion »

Hi.
Sorry I was a little lost with the development, but my PC started shutting down randomly. So I stopped all the projects I had.

A few weeks ago I finally bought a new laptop, but it wasn't until today that I set up CC so I could compile again for the CX16.

I have some advances, like a second difficulty, a time system, pause, a better scoring system, with a scoreboard. etc
But I wanted to finish adding some elements like the swap item proposed by Edmond D before uploading a new version.

I want to add sound effects and music, but I haven't started to study anything about how to implement it yet.
Edmond D

Post by Edmond D »

hechelion wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:11 pm
I have some advances, like a second difficulty, a time system, pause, a better scoring system, with a scoreboard. etc
But I wanted to finish adding some elements like the swap item proposed by Edmond D before uploading a new version.
Don't let my feature request stop you from exploring and implementing sound first. From what little I know, it's a learning curve given the abundance of sound generation chips/systems on the X16.

I'm in a X16 limbo at the moment, not doing much save monitoring the forums and figuring out how to justify buying a new Commodore machine while my Vic-20 collection sits unloved down in the crawlspace.
hechelion

Post by hechelion »

Don't worry, it's a good idea and something that will be appreciated late in the game.
And I prefer to finish programming the game logic before entering the unknown waters of the sound chip.