PET Space Invaders 2

jimbo

File Download PET Space Invaders 2

Post by jimbo »

[Updated download below.]

Taito released the original Space Invaders arcade game in 1978, and as a high school student Satoshi Matsuoka created a masterpiece replica of Space Invaders for the Commodore PET in 1980.

Taito updated the original arcade game in 1979 with the release of Space Invaders Part II. The updated game featured more aliens, spawning aliens and different UFOs. This is an updated version of Professor Matsuoka's original PET game that more closely matches the gameplay of Taito's 1979 updated Part II version.

Originally updated for the PET/CBM Series of computers, and now ported to the Commander X16.

ss4.jpg
ss4.jpg (123.84 KiB) Viewed 3343 times

Try It Now!

PETINV2.prg
(21.13 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
Last edited by jimbo on Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
voidstar

Re: PET Space Invaders 2

Post by voidstar »

Working on hardware (R45) for me, with gamepad. Neat that it has the "auto play demo" just like old arcade - I've noticed these days that "auto play" seems like a lost art in games.

issues:

- no pause :) if I get a call or passing question, I can't pause it a bit [but true that's how it was for arcade games!! when we had no portable phones back then]

- do some of the monsters respawn? I didn't recall that happening in the past times I've played invaders, plus many different versions, so maybe remembering it wrong. But I'm pretty sure I saw this happen a few times - cleared a row, but a ship respawns in a previously empty spot.

minor stuff:

- system supports long filenames, if wanna put your PRG filenames a bit longer:)
- if gamepad connected, couldn't choose to use keyboard instead
- no mouse support, might be interesting
- maybe support the STOP button, to "cleanly" get back to CMDR-DOS / BASIC prompt? [actually - very minor, think just CTRL+ALT+RESTORE will keep you in same folder]
(it's convenient where if the PRG is several folders deep, to just STOP and remain in that same folder instead of resetting and getting back to that folder - like in one case, I wanted to switch over to Composite, be nice to just STOP, switch, and run it again)