Can I exit the emulator?

Get technical support from the community & developers with specific X16 programs if you can't find the solution elsewhere
(for general non-support related chat about programs please comment directly under the program in the software library)
simplybrian

Can I exit the emulator?

Post by simplybrian »

Greetings. I am working on a fun little project for my Pi400, in which I'm running the x16 emulator in the framebuffer console of RaspiOS lite. So far it's a blast, having the form factor of the Pi400 and the appearance of running a retro OS full screen. However, I can't seem to find a way to gracefully exit the emulator to shut down the operating system. I have searched the documentation and haven't found any references to shutting down the emulator. Since the x16 emulator grabs the Ctrl key, so I can't even Ctrl-Alt to another linux console. I realize that an "exit" feature would not be needed on the hardware version, but in the emulator, it would be nice to have a method for gracefully exiting. Does anyone know if this is possible?
TomXP411

Re: Can I exit the emulator?

Post by TomXP411 »

Try the POWEROFF command.

If I recall, this closes the emulator.

https://github.com/X16Community/x16-doc ... d#poweroff
simplybrian

Post by simplybrian »

Awesome, thank you! I confirmed that it does in fact exit the emulator.
For some reason I couldn't find this information in my searching, so thank you for the link to the command reference.
Johan Kårlin

Post by Johan Kårlin »

Not related to your question but I must ask: Do you mean you’re running the emulator on a Raspberry Pi400? Is it powerful enough for that? I ask because am interested in making a tabletop arcade machine with the possibility to run X16 games.
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

Johan Kårlin wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:01 am Not related to your question but I must ask: Do you mean you’re running the emulator on a Raspberry Pi400? Is it powerful enough for that? I ask because am interested in making a tabletop arcade machine with the possibility to run X16 games.
It is not. The Pi 4 can run the emulator at about half of realtime speed.

I expect the Pi 5 to be able to do a full speed emulation, but I have not yet built or tested the emulator on a Pi 5 (since I don't have one yet).
Johan Kårlin

Post by Johan Kårlin »

Ok, let’s hope it does. A Pi 5 is about 100 dollars, that’s quite affordable.