Bug in X16MAZE game

All aspects of programming on the Commander X16.
Bill Leue

Bug in X16MAZE game

Post by Bill Leue »

I am not sure where to post this bug report. There does not appear to be a specific forum topic.

Anyway, I see what appears to be a bug in the X16MAZE game that comes on the included SD card. When I run the game with no SNES controllers attached, it works correctly using RETURN for start and Z for next. But when I plug in either SNES controller (or both), the program does not respond to pressing the START button on the controller, and it stops responding to the RETURN key as well.

I have tested the SNES controllers with other programs, and they seem to work fine.
-BIll
maikaione

Re: Bug in X16MAZE game

Post by maikaione »

I just tested it on my system and it worked fine.

I found when I plugged in my SNES controller, the fit was super tight. Perhaps trying to seat it in more firmly?
JimmyDansbo

Post by JimmyDansbo »

I am the developer of X16Maze.

The way it works is that both joystick 0 and 1 (keyboard and 1st gamepad) are read and combined.
If things don't work when you have a gamepad connected, it could be a bad connection or maybe your gamepad has a hanging button or similar.
I am off to work right now, but later today I will check if I can reproduce the issue on my own system.

Thanks for the report.
Visit my Github repo
or my personal site with CX16/C64/6502 related information.
Feel free to contact me regarding any of my projects or even about meeting up somewhere near Denmark
JimmyDansbo

Post by JimmyDansbo »

As luck would have it, my official X16 came in the door today.
I have just tested it with X16Maze and I have no issues with or without gamepad connected.
Visit my Github repo
Feel free to contact me regarding any of my projects or even about meeting up somewhere near Denmark
mortarm

Post by mortarm »

Bill, when did you plug the pad in? This could have an effect on it's behavior.
Bill Leue

Post by Bill Leue »

It turns out the problem was with the "fake" SNES controllers I bought. Apparently their response time was too slow for the X16 and they looked to the system as if the SELECT key was always held down. So I trashed them and bought some used but tested genuine SNES controllers, and they work fine. Jimmy Dansbo, sorry for doubting your program!
-Bill
JimmyDansbo

Post by JimmyDansbo »

Bill Leue wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:30 pm ... Jimmy Dansbo, sorry for doubting your program!
-Bill
No worries, I am just happy you found something that works for you :)
Visit my Github repo
darvidanoar

Post by darvidanoar »

Ah, I must have the same dodgy aftermarket controllers (that I bought because they were grey and purple and would sort of match the official case).

When I use the CONTEST.PRG program that came on the SD card, I can see that it thinks the Select key is permanently on.

Oh well. A-shopping I will go again ...

David
David aka BKD (Bee Keeper Dave)
GitHub: https://github.com/Darvidanoar/