What PC case are you using?

Chat about anything CX16 related that doesn't fit elsewhere
Screech

General - CX16 Re: What PC case are you using?

Post by Screech »

I really really really want one that reminds me of the old horizontal pc models. Since I won't use the expansion slots right away, I would love this look and feel.

If I can't find a way to make it work, I'll get the official case.

Last edited by Screech on Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
mortarm

Re: What PC case are you using?

Post by mortarm »

You want your case to look like a card sorter? :?
Screech

Post by Screech »

mortarm wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:03 am You want your case to look like a card sorter? :?
LOL!! I fixed it. I don't know where that link came from. Although it would be kind of cool if I could get something like that working....
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

DragWx wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:42 am I'm ready to just leave mine in a cardboard box until a nice low-profile case becomes available again. :P

Other than the Lazer3D case, I would've loved if the Checkmate A1500 Mini case could somehow fit the X16, but that's a pipe dream.
No, the mini case won't fit an X16, but the Plus should fit an X16, as long as you get the ATX, rather than the Amiga, back panel.
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

Screech wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:54 pm I really really really want one that reminds me of the old horizontal pc models. Since I won't use the expansion slots right away, I would love this look and feel.

If I can't find a way to make it work, I'll get the official case.
There are lots of HTPC cases out there. Something like a Fractal Design Node 202 should be a good fit.
SolarSurfer

Post by SolarSurfer »

Regarding the 10 pin FP header ...
https://github.com/X16Community/x16-doc ... ront-panel

NC (not connected) is clear enough. And the top 8 pins seem obvious (they would connect to the case's buttons and LEDs)

What is the purpose of the +5V DC pin?
DragWx

Post by DragWx »

I have a question since I'm way out of my element here. :P

I found the Fractal Design Ridge case, and even though it's intended for Mini-ITX boards, it looks like an X16 would still physically fit inside as long as you use the pico-atx power supply (i.e., don't need to mount an actual one in there). Would this work? And/or, what would I need to look out for, when looking for a similar case, if it's even possible? Asking because I really want to use a slim, compact case if the Lazer3D case remains unavailable for too long.

Edit: No, it looks like the Fractal case will not work, because while the side of the X16 board will happily extend into the top of the case, the non-removable bracket for the SSDs is in the way and there's not enough clearance for the front of the X16. Using longer standoffs might help, but then the ports around the back won't align.
Last edited by DragWx on Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

SolarSurfer wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:40 am Regarding the 10 pin FP header ...
What is the purpose of the +5V DC pin?
So you have the option of powering "something" else off of the Motherboard. I know Voidstar has his wired to the USB port on his case so he can at least use it for charging phones and stuff. (though of course there are no data pins connected)..
xlar54

Post by xlar54 »

Old mac SCSI hard drive enclosures might work out, for a slim look.
debug_ninja

Post by debug_ninja »

voidstar wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:24 am
debug_ninja wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:26 am I am tempted to buy something like this but I’m unsure if it will be too tight a fit. I like the handle and 60 isn’t too bad
I got one of these, just as temporary for now. As an mATX, it is not a tight fit for the X16 board. But keep in mind for that price, it doesn't come with any fans or power supply - not that you need those here, but it makes less of a good deal.

Attached is a photo to give an idea of the space. One nice thing is I plug pins into the up-front USB port to draw 5V right off the X16 board (5V clearly marked near the FP and I2C group of pins). So that 5V can charge a phone or some IEC disk drive emulator, etc. Note there is no switch upfront for RESET or drive activity light - that hasn't really been a big deal, with the side glass window I can see the onboard activity LED just fine, and CTRL+ALT+DEL from the keyboard does a reset reliably enough.

The "fine grill" stuff that comes with that case is just "sticker on" (not magnetic, or at least I don't think it is) so I didn't use it. That left space to pass the SD extender thru.

With the holes top and bottom, it might be easier to cut out a space for a side-insert cartridge someday.
Thanks for posting this picture, I ended up ordering the same case and as soon as I get it I’ll post my picture :)