Esp Remote Viewing Test (Zener Cards) [serial null modem required]

voidstar

Esp Remote Viewing Test (Zener Cards) [serial null modem required]

Post by voidstar »

The "Zener Cards" were depicted in a scene of the original 1984 Ghostbusters movie. The idea of these cards was developed by Karl Zener in the 1930s, a time before digital computing became mainstream.

The idea is related to ESP (extrasensory perception). While the "game-concept" here is easy (admin picks a card, client tries to guess the chosen card), I think modern digital versions of this test miss a key point: it's not so much a statistical "guessing game" (it could be viewed as such and not need any visual cue) - but rather, trying to reveal if a person under test has actual telepathy or "remote viewing" capability. That is, if the test administrator can develop a mental image of the object, can the tester (the client) also mentally detect that image. Or, alternatively, do they have some kind of "remote eye" to see behind the shoulder of the administrator (such as by allegedly being in sync with a guiding spirit).

This is why I think it is important to actually visualize the images and involve an organic mind of the administrator. But administrating this test is very difficult, for all the reasons depicted in the scene of Ghostbusters - admins can play favorites, or clients can simply just guess and play the statistical odds.

In addition, what if there are differences between analog vs digital transmission of the image? In the early days of CRTs, there was speculation of seeing "ghost" within analog signals (which of course were generally just local interference from other electronics, but various "scary movies" have played on this theme over the years). But in our rush to clean digital signals, what if we did miss something within the analog noise? So doing this test over a VGA or Composite interface (in contrast to more modern digital signals) I think that is also an interesting aspect. Use of an even older "RF cable" might be even better (with the idea of the image somehow being "broadcast" to other people's minds).

Even if there is no real merit to the Zener Test itself, this is also a working-demonstration of handling serial communication on the X16 within BASLOAD (BASIC). Bank 10 is used to store the serial receive data, with a simple kind of client/server protocol (the data is parsed into tokens, where "=" is used as an end-of-token indicator). It was fun using the HP protocol analyzer to also verify the serial communication in real time (and it was actually helpful). Perhaps this might also motivate the emulator folks to add support for expansion modules (like the TexElec serial card).

In addition, this is also a simple example of handling sprites in BASIC (including flipping some of the sprites to complete the symmetric side of some of the cards).

This does require two X16's and two TexElec serial cards (I don't know if other serial cards use the same ports), which is why no TryItNow is available (no "local mode" play). Between the serial cards, you will need a null-modem cable, since this talks directly and only across serial at this time. This is an initial "proof of concept" version, only MODE1 of the admin side is completed.

INSTRUCTIONS
- connect null-modem between the 9-pin serial on the back of the serial card
- run ZENER.PRG on one X16, and on startup say YES to being Admin [the admin sends "RDY="]
- run ZENER.PRG on the other X16, say NO (indicating it is a client) [looks for admin RDY=]
- client acknowledges the READY status by pressing any key [client sends "ACK=" to acknowledge and verify that the serial signal is established]
- admin answers a couple questions (just press ENTER twice to accept defaults of YES and use MODE1)
- the question being answered is if the client should be allowed to see the true answer in the event that they answer incorrectly (allowing them to keep track of their accuracy, if they so choose)
- admin sends the true answer as "MODE1/n=" (where n is the selected card)
- client responds when selecting an answer as "SEE.n=" (where n is their selected card)
- client has a HIDE mode, where in some cases seeing all the possible shapes/cards might be distracting to them developing a mental image in sync with the admin; so pressing H can toggle these on/off (and is remembered across sessions, but they are initially visible)

Future ideas:

- support the WiFi ports (at least in the TexElec network-cards implementation, this would use the internal Zimodem of the network ports; the admin would just specify an IP to connect to, and the client runtime would essentially act as a miniature "doors" program of a BBS); could be useful even across LAN and avoid needing a null modem cable, but then also do extreme-Zener testing of across-the-planet telepathy

- admin MODE2 is intended for alternative version of the test where clients indicate an order or sequence of the cards

- as depicted in Ghostbusters, he had two clients at the same time. If we insert multiple serial cards into the X16, the admin could support multiple ones using different ports. It might be interesting to show that the X16 would be capable of handling that kind of scenario (but also emphasizes how serial RS232 is 1:1, and not very robust for multiplayer).

- Maybe someday a "dual VERA" version, as a "two screen" application on a single X16.

- Log all the metrics to a file (percentages of matches across the shapes) for good ol'e data-analytics

- Maybe an "auto"/demo mode, where both ADMIN and CLIENT to an auto-pick

- Had idea of the client "uploading" the shapes/sprite data to the client. In general, there is little error checking or you can see the "attack vectors" in plain-text serial.
IMG_1217A.jpg
IMG_1217A.jpg (686.41 KiB) Viewed 885 times
Attachments
ZENER-V1.ZIP
(13.21 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Last edited by voidstar on Wed Sep 11, 2024 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
voidstar

Re: Esp Remote Viewing Test (Zener Cards) [serial null modem required]

Post by voidstar »

Video preview to see the initial "handshake" setup and interaction between the two systems

Attaching also a few things...

- the original 16x16 and 32x32 sprites for reference. Nothing super fancy, doodled them up in Excel initially.
- Attaching a C++ program I did to help "double size" the original fonts.
- and attaching the BASLOAD TXT code, since I know in some travel situations it helps to just browse through code for reference and not deal with any zip packages.
Attachments
SpriteDoubler.cpp
(924 Bytes) Downloaded 42 times
ZENER.BASL.TXT
(26.52 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
ZENER_SPRITEBINS.ZIP
(7.9 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Last edited by voidstar on Sat Aug 31, 2024 1:54 am, edited 5 times in total.
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

voidstar wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 6:02 pm Video preview to see the initial "handshake" setup and interaction between the two systems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luH0LQFhZi4

Attaching also a few things...

- the original 16x16 and 32x32 sprites for reference. Nothing super fancy, doodled them up in Excel initially.
- Attaching a C++ program I did to help "double size" the original fonts.
- and attaching the BASLOAD TXT code, since I know in some travel situations it helps to just browse through code for reference and not deal with any zip packages.

Ok, very nice. So when are you writing BATTLESHIP Head to Head version ;)
bs.png
bs.png (698.72 KiB) Viewed 831 times

Also there's a YT tag for the Youtube video and it will appear right here in the forum.
voidstar

Post by voidstar »

Wonder if that YT tagging only works on initial post, not edited?

I considered doing a Battleship first, but I'd be obliged to include audio and do the infamous "You sunk my battleship!" speech.

I don't recall Zener cards ever yet being done on an 8-bit micro (plus as far as I can tell, they aren't trademarked or patented).

A missed opportunity: Dr. Venkman could have coded up a more fair test using a 6502 Apple II. But he obviously put more effort into wiring up the wrong-answer-zapper (maybe that was more of the focus of his thesis- more about "stress tolerance threshold" than any ESP-metric collecting).

2400 baud serial lends itself well to any turn-based game. Battleship may happen someday, but I'd really like to do a "rogue" like game - one of those ASCII-art dungeon crawls, but you only see a short distance around you exposed (or the paths you've visited already). Or, a real-time-ish Tank Battle game of some sort (across serial or network).
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

voidstar wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 12:27 am Wonder if that YT tagging only works on initial post, not edited?
I think it may only work on Youtu.be addresses "Copy Video URL"
mortarm

Post by mortarm »

voidstar wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 5:31 pm ...Karl Zener in the 1930s, a time before digital computing became mainstream.
Or even existed.
voidstar

Post by voidstar »

Some credit the Z1 or prototypes of the ABC to the late 1930s. The idea of voltage applied as logic gates seems to emerge around mid 1930s (Boolean logic itself being decades earlier, sure). Amazing that wasn't even yet 100 years ago!

But true, digital computing was more of a post WW2 thing.