CX16-Kakuro

ifilot

File Download CX16-Kakuro

Post by ifilot »

For all you puzzle-lovers out there, I created another puzzle-based game: CX16-Kakuro.

Kakuro is a logic-based number puzzle game, often described as a cross between a crossword and Sudoku. In this game, players fill a grid with digits from 1 to 9, with the objective of matching the sum of numbers in each row or column to a given target. However, no number can be repeated within a single sum. Each clue is represented as a small number in a "dark" cell, dictating the sum of the digits to be placed in the adjacent white cells.

Play it now!
cx16-kakuro-gameplay.gif
cx16-kakuro-gameplay.gif (810.79 KiB) Viewed 317 times
Features
  • In total, 48 puzzles are implemented in the game varying between 6x6 to 8x8 board sizes. More puzzles (with varying difficulty) are in the making though!
  • Control of the game proceeds by a combination of mouse and keyboard. Numbers can be entered by hovering the mouse cursor over the tile and pressing the desired number [1-9] on the keyboard.
  • The program keeps track of the user progression. Different colors are used to indicate opened and completed puzzles. The game automatically saves the result to PUZZLES.DAT ensuring 'continuous play'. Note that the game state itself is not saved.
  • If the player is stuck solving the puzzle, they can hit a toggle button which highlights all correct numbers in green, while incorrect numbers are colored in red.
Currently, the game is still in an early stage, though it is playable. For the background music, I used 'Corridor of Time' from Chrono Trigger as tracked by GTR3QQ which I obtained from this source, but that is likely to change (though I find the music fitting to the game play).

The source code can be found in this Github repository.

Update version 0.2.0
  • Improved graphics
  • Doubled the number of puzzles
  • Added feature to turn pages in the menu
  • Added "help" and "about" screen (note: "options" is currently still a placeholder)
Attachments
CX16-KAKURO.ZIP
(70.33 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Last edited by ifilot on Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
mortarm

Re: CX16-Kakuro

Post by mortarm »

Played with it on the Web emulator. A few items:
  • Needs a music on/off switch
  • A rogue square is sometimes generated on the play field
  • An instructions screen is always welcome
ifilot

Re: CX16-Kakuro

Post by ifilot »

Thank you for testing out the game. Feedback is always appreciated! :D
A rogue square is sometimes generated on the play field
Do you mean a hint-tile? That is part of the game. If that it not what you mean, please indicate in which puzzle it is happening such that I can reproduce and potentially fix the bug.
Needs a music on/off switch
An instructions screen is always welcome
These features are in development.