Rally Speedway

Johan Kårlin

Re: Rally Speedway

Post by Johan Kårlin »

Thanks for your feedback. You are of course right, this is a strange way to operate a car. It is just that it is one of the things I liked with the original game for the C64. But maybe I should add some alternative way or ways to control the car, it can be a good idea. And you have a good point about the buttons too.
Daedalus

Post by Daedalus »

That's how the 'A' button works in the original? That makes sense. Cars in the 80's were really hard to drive... you had the clutch and usually some horribly designed shifter that would allow you to shift into reverse accidentally while going 25 miles an hour, nearly blowing up your engine (Ask me how I know!)

I learned to drive on a 1965 Volkswagon Van. My first car was a 1974 Datsun 510. I wouldn't do that to anyone. Cars now are so much better! Well, except for the ones in the last few years with those touch screens. Ooo! I hate those!

Anyway! Add a switch that changes the 'A' button from brake on press, accelerator on release to accelerate on press, brake on release (Like modern EVs have an option for.) and you get both markets (Hardcore originalists and new players used to modern cars.) as easily as possible.
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

I just bought a new jeep in Dec 22
I was looking for a stick and could not find one available. :( :(
Johan Kårlin

Post by Johan Kårlin »

Daedalus wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 11:16 pm Anyway! Add a switch that changes the 'A' button from brake on press, accelerator on release to accelerate on press, brake on release (Like modern EVs have an option for.) and you get both markets (Hardcore originalists and new players used to modern cars.) as easily as possible.
I will probably make a change and add some options for how to control the car, one of them according to your specification. And I think I will let the B button brake instead of A. Joysticks for C64 only have button as you probably know, so it seemed logical to let the A button on the SNES controller correspond to it.
First of all I must change the user interface, move the leaderboard to a separate screen to make room for more options. It might sound simple but user interface programming in assembly is a lot of tedious work.
Johan Kårlin

Post by Johan Kårlin »

V 1.5.4 has been released. The first track is now easier and called "Training Track". There is no traffic and there are very few trees and houses to collide with : ). Track 2 is the old track 1 and the name is changed to "First Challenge". The track "Northbound" is removed. You can now both pause and resume the game by using only the start button (ENTER on the keyboard).
Johan Kårlin

Post by Johan Kårlin »

V 1.5.5 has been released. The only change is that the game is now using ZSMKit instead of ZSound. This is to make sure that it will work with both the YM2151 and the YM2164 sound chip.
mwiedmann

Post by mwiedmann »

This is really fun. I missed the original release but this is a blast!
Raven67854

Post by Raven67854 »

This is a lot of fun. Mind if I upload this to my BBS? Or you are welcome too if you'd prefer.
SysOp For Error200 Tech BBS
Telnet bbs.error200.tech Port 1337
Help Grow A X16 File Repository | Upload Your Apps Today!
Johan Kårlin

Post by Johan Kårlin »

Raven67854 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:12 am This is a lot of fun. Mind if I upload this to my BBS? Or you are welcome too if you'd prefer.
No, I don’t mind at all. I am just glad you find it enjoyable and want to share it with others.
Raven67854

Post by Raven67854 »

Johan Kårlin wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:58 am No, I don’t mind at all. I am just glad you find it enjoyable and want to share it with others.
Awesome I will upload then thank you. The game is very enjoyable :).
SysOp For Error200 Tech BBS
Telnet bbs.error200.tech Port 1337
Help Grow A X16 File Repository | Upload Your Apps Today!